Knowing Your Rights After Getting Injured In A Motor Vehicle Accident

Motor vehicle collisions can lead to serious or even life-threatening injuries for those who are involved. In the aftermath of an accident, it’s important to understand the steps that need to be taken as there are specific deadlines that must be met if you intend to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit. No matter if you’re the driver, their passenger, a pedestrian, or the person responsible for causing the accident, you’re automatically entitled to “No-Fault” accident benefits.

3 Important Steps to take

If you’re planning on claiming no-fault accident benefits, it’s imperative that you take the following 3 steps:

• If you intend on filing a claim, you have 7 days from the date of the accident to notify your insurer.

• Your insurer will provide the application forms and you’ll have 30 days to complete and return them to your insurer. An extension may be granted provided you have a valid reason. For example, if the injuries you suffered in the accident prevents you from completing the forms, you’ll be expected to submit them as soon as you possibly can.

• If the benefits get denied, you’ll need to hire a personal injury attorney and will have 2 years from the denial date to file an “Application for Mediation.”

Assuming you aren’t the at-fault party, an injury victim has the legal right to sue for loss of enjoyment or life, pain, and suffering. However, in order to be compensated for your injuries, you must have suffered a permanent impairment of an important physical or psychological function, or suffered permanent disfigurement. Your personal injury lawyer team in Medicine Hat will be able to evaluate your case and determine if your injury caused a serious, permanent impairment.

Do You have the Right to Sue?

If your accident has left you permanently disabled or seriously injured, you can sue the at-fault party for past and future earnings. Additionally, you may require attendant care until you fully recover from your injuries. If this is the case, you can submit a claim for reimbursement of these costs. If medical treatment is required and not covered by OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan), you can submit a claim for reimbursement of these costs as well.

Other claims might include but aren’t limited to suing for the wrongful death of a loved one or getting compensated for attendant care expenses. In any event, if you recently suffered injury or lost a loved one in a motor vehicle accident, a personal injury lawyer in Sherwood Park will ensure that your rights to compensation are protected. They will navigate the whole process and ensure that you are not lowballed by the insurance company.