How To Compensate The Spouse And Other Family Members of The Injured After An Accident?

If a member of your family has been injured in an accident or he has unfortunately died due to the wrongful actions of a third party, you as well as other family members are thoroughly entitled to seek benefits for your loss. These parties include spouses, children as well as parents – they are all eligible. With this said, it is quite important to understand that there are a lot of things that you would want to keep in mind and that the situation is far from being as straightforward as it may sound. The loss of consortium is definitely something that’s quite challenging to handle.

In the majority of provinces, including Alberta, spouses as well as family members of the injured party could easily recover damages for loss of consortium, as it is commonly referred to. This is mostly used when there is a death. The family is going to be eligible for said damages because the person who was killed or injured is no longer capable of providing for their family members. Or, at the very least, the same person is not capable of doing so with the same level of care. This is something important. And, since there are third parties involved in the entire situation, family members need to file a claim against them, should they want to receive any monetary compensation.

There are quite a lot of different claims that could potentially be made. These include claims for loss of companionship, loss of guidance, loss of income as well and others of the kind. It is important to relate the damages to the incurred losses. Of course, this is in case the person who has been injured is still alive, but he is impaired and unable to provide for his family in the same way he was able to do so in advance. Additionally, there may be medical expenses, loss of wages and other additional expenses that need to be compensated. While it might seem like a far-fetched reality for a lot of people, these are things that might actually take place. And, when they do happen, you need to be able to react and take the best decision.

The very first thing that you ought to do, should you be involved in a situation of the kind, is to call a personal injury lawyer in Sherwood Park. He would be able to help you get the most out of the case and ensure that you receive an optimal amount of compensation. This is obviously something of tremendous importance. The best thing about all of this is the lawyer is unlikely to take any money out of your pocket directly. They work on contingency fees and they only get paid, if and when they win the case and get the compensation.