Actions To Take If You Are Victim of Hit-And-Run Incident

One event must have taken place in the moments after a collision, if that same collision should be called a hit-and-run incident. That event concerns the behavior of the responsible driver. That driver must have left the scene of the accident.

What is the target of the driver that abandoned the scene?

It could be a person that has stepped off the curb, or it could be a vehicle that was parked in a parking lot.

Actions to take if you are a pedestrian that got hit by a motored vehicle

• Look for any identifying details on the car driven by the responsible motorist. If possible, get the vehicle’s license number.
• Call the police and report details of the incident, such as when did it take place; where did it take place?
• Get seen by a doctor as soon as possible.
• Later work with the police, in hopes of finding the responsible driver. Undertake assertive actions, once you have chosen to pursue a search for the responsible driver.
• If you find that same driver, then you can seek compensation from the company that has sold the same driver a car insurance policy.

Actions to take if another motorist has damaged your parked car

• Record the time of the incident, or the time when the damage was discovered.
• Take photographs of the damage.
• Call the police.
• Get an estimate from a shop that performs car repairs.

Do you have comprehensive car insurance? If so, you should expect your insurance company to help with covering the cost of the damage.

Try to track down the driver that caused the damage. If you locate that driver, then you should plan to take one of 2 different actions. You could make a claim on your own car insurance, or you could recover the costs from the other driver and not make a car insurance claim.

If you have failed to locate the responsible driver, you again have 2 options, each of which is different from the choices given to the person that has succeeded in locating the person responsible for the damage. If you go with the first option, then you simply use your own money to pay for the desired repairs. You would not need to notify your own insurance company.

Alternately, you could make a claim on your comprehensive car insurance policy, and then agree to pay any applicable excess. Understand, that if you go with that second option, then you give a green light to your insurance company, with respect to placing an increase on the size of your premium. That fact highlights the reason for not notifying the insurance company, after you have paid for the repairs with your own money. However, it helps to call on Personal Injury Lawyer in Medicine Hat.