Actions To Take If At-Fault Driver Leaves Site of Collision In Alberta

Residents of Alberta have access to the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund (MVAC), in the event that any one of those residents becomes the victim of a hit-and-run driver. Of course, those that apply for such funds must meet all of the requirements.

Requirements to be met by anyone that goes after the financial assistance from MVAC

• Victim must have sustained bodily injury. Victim should have been seen by a doctor soon after the time of the accident.
• Person seeking assistance must be resident of Alberta or of some jurisdiction that has a program that is similar to Alberta’s.
• The collision must have taken place within Alberta.

Liability for accident must rest with the unknown driver, and not with the injured victim. Witness statements can work with personal injury lawyer in Edmonton to provide evidence that the unknown driver should be held liable for the collision.

The injured party can present proof of the fact that he or she tried to ascertain the identity of the unknown driver. That proof could take the form of a picture of the car or of the automobile’s license plate. If the victim has recognized the driver’s car, he or she may be able to supply the police with the driver’s address.

MVAC must be notified within 90 days from the date of the collision. If no notification has been made within that 90-day period, the Claims Fund reserves the right to refuse any requested assistance.

Victim must contact police, or arrange for someone else to call the police.

Another time when the injured party must call the police

That would be the situation if the allegedly guilty driver remained at the scene of the accident but refused to share his or her information. That should push the injured or non-liable driver to contact the police. According to Alberta law, such a driver must share his or her information with any of the other involved drivers.

Actions to be taken by the driver that hopes to work with MVAC

Report accident to insurance company as soon as possible. It is best to contact the insurance company before seeking MVAC’s assistance.

Save all receipts. That would include the receipts for paid medical bills, for tests taken, in order to establish a diagnosis, for all medication and medical equipment, and for all transportation costs on days when you had a medical or court appointment. If any equipment got lost at the time of such an appointment, that loss could be claimed as well.

Understand that MVAC’s assistance cannot be offered until that same agency has determined the value of the victim’s injury. The list of receipts highlights the sort of evidence that demonstrates the actual value of a given injury.